Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Before and After: Campaign Dresser

Hello!

I have never, ever been more excited to talk about a DIY furniture makeover.  Ever.

Like many other girls who are obsessively reading shelter blogs and magazines, I have fallen in love with campaign dressers.  So much so that I think everyone knows exactly what they are and is as nuts for them as I am.  Case in point:  This week is spring break for the school district where I teach and when I was talking with two of my colleagues in the art department about upcoming plans, I began to gush about how excited I was to finally refinish my campaign dresser.  I expected both women to perk up and all I got were two blank stares and the question, "Do you have a picture of that?".  My other colleague followed with, "Yeah, I have no idea what you are talking about."

Sigh.  Sometimes it is good to come back to the real world and remember that not everyone has an inspiration folder on their desktop, an uncountable number of boards on Pinterest, and two gallons of Zinnser primer in their coat closet "just in case".

But I digress.  The point of this is that I am obsessed with campaign dressers.  I found a lovely large reproduction of one on Craigslist several months ago for a mere $40.  The woman I bought it from had clearly refinished it at one point herself- she was nice enough to even pass on the paint sample she had used in case I needed it for touch ups.  It was an absolutely lovely "before" starting point.



However, the original color scheme, a buttercup yellow with black hardware, went with very little in my apartment and I began to think about my options.  I began to search for inspiration online.  Has everyone seen this?


Original image in Lonny

I assume so, but as I stated before, I get a little fixated on certain items and surely it's best for me not to assume like that.  The kelly green campaign dresser is everywhere.  And fresh and beautiful.  But again, not right for my bedroom, which is full of soft, textured neutrals and one fabulous light blue and jade Grandma-ish damask chair that I refuse to dishonor with new upholstery.  My thoughts turned to light blue and jade green, naturally, but after a few weeks of living with paint samples on the dresser, I decided that on such a large item it could look a bit nursery like.  Sophisticated nursery, absolutely.  But nursery nonetheless.  Eventually, it hit me that somewhere between peacock and navy blue would be ideal.

So between a new coat of paint (Behr Velvet Skies in Semi-Gloss, if you are interested) and literally an entire tube of Rub N Buff (my favorite tool in my toolbox), I wound up with this bit of heaven.



I am elated about this makeover.  Really, I think it is the best one I have ever done.  That may be because of my campaign fixation, I won't lie.  And while the styling in that photograph is not yet perfect (I desperately need a larger mirror to balance out the vintage cabinet.  And I need to settle on what to paint the vintage cabinet.  And a tray would really be lovely on the dresser... This list will never stop, by the way.), every time I look over at that piece of furniture I smile.  It is that damn good.

1 comment:

  1. These photos are great! I'm new here... browsing around and decided to comment instead of lurk. :) I LOVE the look and feel of your blog so far- off to check out some more! Happy week, sugar! xo

    ReplyDelete